Sunday, April 13, 2014

Suasdei Chnam Thmei! (Happy New Year!)

Hey Fam,

Today is officially Khmer New Year. So yes, it is DEAD outside. We found a member who owns an internet shop who is letting us all email here. For big holidays pretty much everyone goes out to their provinces. So it slows way down here in the city. But we work on updating our CBR books and deep-cleaning our house. And actually there still will be quite a few members here. So we'll be meeting with as many people as possible.

Something President Moon started stressing is contacting. He wants us getting 10 contacts/day. You would think that probably would be normal, but it's not for us here. Anyway, so Sister Melton and I have put so much effort into getting these contacts and we DID IT!! I'm not joking, it took quite a bit of extra effort. But I have no doubt that somewhere this effort will pay off. 

Actually we did find some cool potential investigators this week. One we met while visiting Ming Slippy. She saw us go in and then she kinda followed us into the house and she started asking us so many questions. She is so interested!! But unfortunately she just left for the next few weeks for the holiday. But I have a feeling she is going to turn into a good one!

Also, we have a new method of contacting. We have this little card that is a picture of people getting baptized. And we just whip it out during our contact and be like "do you know what this is?" or "have you ever learned about this?" and people get pretty interested. And then we commit them to begin preparing themselves for baptism by learning with us. There have been a couple that have been quite interested. We are going to start using it more! It is a mission-wide thing we are implementing. Kinda fun!

I went on exchange this week with a sister named Sister Kohler. She is super cool. She actually finishes her mission in like 2 weeks. Sister Payne also finishes in like 2 weeks. Crazy! But my exchange was really good! I like exchanges because I get to know a lot of the sisters and I get to see different things they do. I felt the spirit SO strongly with Sister Kohler when we were teaching about the first vision. It was great!

Also we have another new investigator this week. His name is Sean. He is like 22-ish? Not sure. He is renting out a small part of a members house and so he wants to learn/is maybe being forced to learn. But he is a cool guy. He is acting really sincere about it. He is actually very smart and has really good questions. He also speaks English so well. I think he has a lot of potential. We are excited about him! 

Our investigator Ming Slippy who I have told you so much about is simply amazing. She is so cool. She just keeps plowing through her kids Book of Mormon. She took it with her for the holiday so she can ask all her little nieces and nephews to help her read. She went to the women's session and loved it. She just is so good. I just am so not sure what to do to get her baptized cause her weird situation, but the gospel is definitely changing her life. It is so fun to watch. 

Also we have been meeting with this long time member, she is an old Relief Society president. Now she is just so old and sick and can't really go anywhere. She also is quite deaf so has no idea what we are saying. But she is so sweet. She sees us and just calls us right in and then just talks and talks about the Church and old times and how she can't go because of how sick she is. It builds my testimony because in her heart she is still so so loyal to her Father in Heaven. She prays so sincerely. I just feel touched by her testimony.

Now last, but not least. Conference was amazing!!!! How blessed are we to get to have Conference twice a year?!?! How do people live their lives without it. I absolutely loved Elder Holland's talk. Power. Seriously, why would anyone expect God to just let them run around and do whatever they want?! That is bad parenting! I was just blown away. Also I loved Stevenson's talk about the Olympics. Our life on earth is so short. So short! We have such a small time to perform our best, and it affects everything! Cool concept. There were really so many amazing talks. And something Sister Melton and I were talking about this morning is that we can't forget them. Seriously I feel like Conference comes, and then pretty soon after we just get back to normal life and we don't apply what we learned as much as we should have. These are the words of the Prophet and apostles! This is scripture!!! We need to be doing everything to embed this stuff deep in our veins. I am going to try really hard to do that. I invite you to join with me! I will be following up. ;) Haha, I'm such a missionary...

Well I love you all! I hope you have a great week!  

Sister Homer
Amazing American food we found.  So good.

Farewell party for a member in our branch who is going on a mission.

After exchange:  Sister Kohler, Me, Sister Davis, Sister Melton

Straight hair! So long! And this is my Khmer-style skirt that I have.  It's cool.  You'll see it sometime.


This is me and my companion and me near this massive pile of garbage which is standard at our little market where we buy our food. Someday I will shop in only grocery stores again. Woohoo, garbage!

No comments:

Post a Comment