Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Easter!


Dear Family,

So like I told you last week, it was Khmer New Year. So for the first couple days this week Phnom Penh was DEAD. Shops were closed. Members were gone. BUT, we plowed through. Actually it was a really good week. Monday we updated a TON of our records. On Tuesday President Moon did some training for all the missionaries in the city. It was really good! He talked a lot about communication especially in our companionships. It was good! Then on Wednesday we had a cleaning day. We just DEEP CLEANED our house. Let me tell you, that was much needed. We clean every Monday, but not to the depth that it needs. So it felt amazing to just scrub our house clean. I just know you can feel the spirit more in a clean house. Sooo, clean your house! 

Thursday Phnom Penh started getting back to normal and there were a lot more people around. So we were back to being super busy. And it felt good to just work. I think I told you our mission president is pushing 10 contacts a day. I love this!! It seriously pushes me so much, BUT we have had some way cool experiences!!! We have gotten some incredible contacts. And I know I will be needing it coming up here real fast.

I am being transferred to Stung Mean Chey 3rd branch. This is different that SMC 1st branch which I was in my first transfer. But they are near each other. 3rd branch is kind of infamous for being hard. Also I will be whitewashing so my companion won't know the area. Also my companion just finished being trained. But she is Khmer, so at least she will know the language! Needless to say this is going to be an intense transfer. Please shoot some prayers my way!

Probably the coolest thing that happened this week was watching the Priesthood session from General Conference. President Moon told the sisters that he wanted us to take some time to watch it. So Sister Melton and I squeezed ourselves into a little booth at a dusty, noisy, smelly internet shop and watched it. We could barely hear what was being said, but we both were feeling the spirit so strong. I don't know if Priesthood session is always that good, but we were just blown away. It's amazing that I could feel the spirit in such a crazy environment. So neat! Plus also I have to marry a Priesthood Hero!!!!!! (Please see Eyring's talk.) 

Also this week we did an exchange with Sister Thain and Sister Ray. I had Sister Thain in my area. It was really fun to work with her. She has had a harder time with the language and doesn't feel very confidant, so I just spent the whole day trying to boost her confidence and make her feel like a million bucks. It was so fun!! And I think I was successful. And it turns out she really is not as bad as she thinks, so it was so easy to boost her up! I just know that she'll get out of this stage and she will be loving life. She is such a strength and asset to our mission.

This week the FUNNIEST thing happened. We went to a members house and there is really no way to explain where they live but it is kinda down this alley and after all these twists and turns you get there. Basically no one should be there unless they live there. So we are coming out of there and we come up on this guy who is just pulling in on his motto. He totally looks Khmer, but out of his mouth comes the words, in a southern accent, "Hey Elders! Can I help you find someone?" I can't describe the state that put us in. Dumbfounded? Flabbergasted? Literally speechless? Somehow I mumbled out of my mouth, "no we found them..." And so he just pulls over and says "just thought I could help." So then he pulled into his little house, hopped off of his motto and went inside his house. We couldn't move. We just stared after him for 2 minutes hoping he would come back out. It's against the law to knock on people doors, and since we don't know him we didn't really want to disturb the peace. So we just left. Which looking back is so stupid that we did that, but at the time we literally couldn't function properly because it was the craziest thing that ever happened! But needless to say, we are going to be heading back over that way and see if we can find him again. SO CRAZY!

So I guess that is all I have this week, but in the spirit of Easter I just want to share that I know our Savior lives. I know He loves us. I have felt His love for others so many times on my mission. It is so real it is tangible. I know that He knows us individually. I know that the Atonement is real. I know that we can do anything through Him. Happy Easter! He is risen!

I love you!

Sister Homer

Happy Easter . . .

ចូលឆ្នាំ <-- That means new year! And this picture was taken on Khmer new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment