Sunday, September 7, 2014

Another week

Family,

I know this is lame, but I really just don't have much to say this week. We are just kinda doing the same thing all the time these days, meeting less-active members. But we did have one really cool lesson.

We met with Bong Noreen, who served her mission in America like 10 years ago, and is currently inactive. So we have been meeting with her and she is really friendly, but just not quite holding onto the rod. So, we went and we read in Alma 32 with her. She really has the desire, I think, to do what is right, but she just isn't really doing it. So we read with her and we talked about nourishing our testimonies. But the coolest thing is that mostly the scriptures talked and she talked and Sister Kean and I just kind of butt out of it. It was neat to see as she read and talked about the verses how the Spirit was touching her heart. You could see it on her face and hear it in her voice. And so then at the end of the lesson she committed to start reading her scriptures again daily! She said she's not ready to go back to church but that she will read. So we are going tonight to meet her again and I hope that she has been reading! Really, the Spirit touches hearts! The scriptures are amazing! I love this gospel!

Also, the scriptures really nail it every time. EVERY TIME. I feel like a lot of lessons I am living 1st Nephi 16:2. The wicked take the truth to be hard. When we go and meet with less-actives, a lot of time the lessons we share are hard for them to hear, cause they just aren't doing what they are supposed to do. Especially with Om Nan, I have told you about her. It doesn't matter what we teach her about, she always ends up trying to explain herself. And you can just see that the truth is hard for her to hear because she isn't doing what she is supposed to! It's not that we go with the intentions of making her feel guilty, but she just does! 

Another interesting comment I hear a lot is that "I'm not abandoning God, I just don't go to church." Well, I don't like that. The fact is when you aren't going to church, you aren't keeping the commandments. And another way to say "not keeping the commandments" is "sin". And I don't know that you could better describe sin than "abandoning God". It's killer! I just wish I could give these people my perspective for one day. Actually give them God's perspective would be better. But I just wish they could see how their life COULD be. The joy they could have. The hope. The peace. 

But what was cool was yesterday at church there was a woman who walked in looking for the International Branch. She is from the Philippines, and she had her 20+ year old daughter with her as well. So, I told her that the International Branch was actually at a different building and that they were also having their meetings at the same time. So instead of going over there, she stayed and I translated for her. Well, I found out that she has only been a member for like 8 months, and she was amazing! Her comments in the classes to me were spot on! And she really really just had the desire to come and worship Heavenly Father and keep the Sabbath day holy. She was amazing. I have never had an investigator even close to her. And maybe that is my problem. Maybe I haven't done what I was supposed to... but I don't know. I just want to know who taught her and congratulate them for doing such a good job. And I just hugged her before she left because I was so inspired by her faith! I hope that the people I taught reach a point where they have the same understanding that she did, as a new member of the church! She is amazing!

Well I guess that is all I have!

I love you all!

Sister Homer
 
The river

Welcome to Phnom Penh!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment