Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hello Family


Hola mi familia,

Psyche, I don't speak spanish. I try though, all the time.

Now for real things. This week was good! And crazy!

First, mom asked what happened our last visit with Moiraine. We met with her on Monday for the last time and read 1 Nephi 8 together, which you know is the tree of life. We totally broke it down, and it was AWESOME!!!! Have I mentioned how much I love that chapter! Anyway, it went really well and I hope it was enough to keep her going until she comes back. We'll see what happens.

We have a new investigator this week. Her name is Cynthia. She is Om Nebo's daughter and Bong Cabanna's sister. Let me tell you about her a bit. She is deaf and cannot speak (usually that's how it works). She has been this way her whole life and has no education. But she has seen her mom and sister learning and has started coming to church too. She can communicate in her own little way, and she wants to be baptized! She prays with them, even though I'm not sure how much she understands. But so, we are going to start teaching her. I know it will be interesting. But also, I am so excited because I feel like there will be a lot of sweet experiences involved. And I really think that Heavenly Father will make up for the differences in her lack of ability to communicate. We have taught her about prayer so far. Teaching her mostly consists of pointing to pictures and acting things out. I'm not sure how this will all work, but I just know that Heavenly Father loves her just so much, and she wants to follow Him. So we'll make it work!

Also this week we had an interesting experience with our dear Lookpuu Dore. He was baptized a week ago, and yesterday he and his family was supposed to be receiving the Holy Ghost. So we rode our bikes past his house on Saturday and I saw him holding a cigarette. You probably could imagine my panic and confusion and disappointment. Long story short, we had to sit down with him and tell him he could not receive the Holy Ghost the next day. We had a really good talk about worthiness among other things. I'm not really sure what happened. He and the wife tell us he really hasn't been smoking but he like had a small relapse I guess you could say. Although this was highly disappointing, it also is really sweet. Yesterday he still came to church with his family, and they received the Holy Ghost. Our branch president pointed out that he was there but would not be receiving the Holy Ghost that day. Ugh, haha FAIL. Poor guy, was probably SUPER embarrassed. But we met with them after church and I can't even tell you how sincere he is. He is trying so hard. So we gave him a massive bag of mints to help him try to quit. I feel like this could be such a good faith building experience. I know you might be thinking we didn't teach him right in the first place, and that this sounds really sketch. I want you to know, (1) it is really sketch! But (2) We really do emphasize the important of these covenants they make and we make it very clear the things they need to do to be worthy. There is just kind of a different learning curve here I think. I wish you knew what Cambodia was like. Mostly, I am so proud of him though. He is going to be good. If you remember, please keep him in your prayers.

Also we were teaching another one of lookup Jordan's daughters this week (she will be baptized in 2 weeks) and she told us she wants to be a missionary someday too!! WOOHOO!! You can't imagine how much my heart just exploded when she said that. And then all the little Vialksach girls said they wanted to be too!!! I love it! I would die if someday they all become missionaries. Issue though, they can't read... haha. I'll encourage them to get on that. Note: vialksach is an area we go to basically every day.

Last night we also visited these 2 daughters of a less-active family that is just becoming active again. They are so fun! We are teaching one of them how to read once a week. (blind leading the blind?). And let me tell you, these two teenage girls talk SO FAST!!! But guess what else! I understand like 97% of everything that went down!!! woohoo!!

I also went on an exchange this week into Sister Mok's area. It was really fun. I'm so glad to be in the area I'm in though. Also, I love Sister Mok so so so much. She is HILARIOUS!! But mostly she is just the sweetest thing ever.

Also, probably every single day this week people have addressed the "issue" of my freckles. I have been encouraged multiple times to go to a doctor to get them removed. I can't even explain how absolutely hilarious it is. They really just aren't quite understanding.

And last, but not least. Last monday, p-day, we went to a wat called Phnom broh, phnom srei. Those are actually two mountains that have wats all over them. Mostly the pictures will say it all. But at one point there was a monkey holding onto my dress and hissing at me and I may have been close to tears. Have fun! :)

I love you all!!! GO COUGARS!!!!!!

Love,

Sister Homer













contacting the monks (this picture was probably staged…

This is Moiraine!

Our area, so pretty!

A little taste of the city




No comments:

Post a Comment