Monday, March 18, 2013

The Beginning

Since I was 12 years old I have wanted to serve a mission. I think the desire began when I saw the excitement surrounding my oldest brother BJ preparing to serve his mission. Two years later Nick began preparing for a mission, and my interest in serving a mission turned into a definite goal. I wanted so badly to have the experiences that my brothers had had. I especially wanted to experience the changes that we all saw happening in Nick as he served in Brazil. Then again a few years later my last brother Shawn served his mission. Around that time I was really beginning to develop my own testimony. As that part of me grew, my desire to serve grew even more.

When I turned 20, I suddenly became aware of how close serving a mission was. It really freaked me out! Suddenly serving a mission meant something - it wasn't just empty words. Serving a mission meant not rooming with my best friend. It meant saying goodbye to my family. It meant leaving school for a while. It meant leaving the job I loved. It meant not seeing my nieces. It meant something really scary. Suddenly I wasn't so sure.

But then I realized that serving a mission meant something. It meant sharing a special part of me with other people. It meant bringing joy into other people's lives - joy that I experienced every day. It meant growing closer to my savior. It meant introducing my savior to others. It meant the most fulfilling thing I could do at this point in my life. It meant everything to me. Suddenly I knew that what I had always wanted was what I still wanted.

So, long story short, I turned 21! (Which a few weeks later became insignificant... oh well!) After a bit I got my papers all in and not soon after, this was the result:




This week I will be entering the MTC, and I couldn't be more excited! I am so full of love for this gospel and for my Heavenly Father. I am very humbled to have the opportunity to serve the people of Cambodia. I can't wait to fall in love with them and to share with them the most important thing in my life.

Hurrah for Israel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment